Friday 21 October 2011

Interview with Michelle – Clover Hill Books

In the first of our soon-to-be regular Featured YA Blogger posts, Danielle Rose caught up with Michelle, the brains behind Clover Hill Book Reviews.

Have you always been an avid reader?

I've always loved reading and am well known for the being the bookworm in our family - although I'm now competing for the title, as our eldest also loves reading :)


What made you want to start a blog?


I came across another book blog and was intrigued. As I read a lot of books, I thought it would be a fantastic way for me to record what I've read, as well as my reaction to the book - banishing the accidental "I've read this before" feeling which I'd had previously! So it's a great way to prompt me to read more from authors I like, find new authors and also reminds me which titles in a series I have already read.

What do you think makes a great YA book?


A solid plot, complete with a dash of romance, suspense where needed and hint of something more.  I love books that make you sit up and take note - those that entice you to want to read more... either from the same author, or in the same series.  Characters I can empathise with, or wish to be... and enough of a storyline to get my teeth into :)

What are the best YA books that you have reviewed so far?

So far I'd have to say Dark Life by Kat Falls, Haunting Violet by Alyxandra Harvey and Jenna Burtenshaw's Wintercraft and Wintercraft: BlackWatch are top of my YA best list. 



I review more than YA alone, so there are other genres and authors who are up there.

And what are your favourite YA books of all time?

Dark Life by Kat Falls comes top of the list.... If I had the time, I'm sure Stephanie Meyer's books would be there as well, since I've seen the movies over and over... but I've only read one or two of the books, as they are rather chunky!

Do you see e-books as the future, or are you still in love with good old paper copies?

I've got mixed feelings about this.  I love the smell and feel of actual books... but they take up so much room in comparison with ebooks!!  I'm a clutter person...and books can fit into that category sometimes. 



That said, the first (and, sadly only) e-book reader I had froze on me and wouldn't reboot, so got returned... I gave up with that idea after I lost my place in a rather large book which isn't out in paper form... so if anyone wants any e-book readers reviewed, I'd put it through its paces.  I did read on my Android for a while, but the screen is too small.  For now, paper copies will live on :)  


As for e-books... I love all the new ideas that publishers are coming up with.  Not only can you read an e-book, but if you're lucky enough to have an iPad, there are some fab interactive books out there for families and individuals alike.  So reading and bringing life to books is more accessible to those with the means.
When did you start working as a copyeditor and what has been your favourite project so far?

I started in December 2010. My favourite project has been working with a German client who has a global company, mainly changing all their documents, promotional material and website so that they are grammatically correct and suitable for their target market here in the UK.

Huge thanks to Michelle for taking part in the interview!  If you would like to be a featured blogger on The Red Telephone, please contact Ollie (admin [at] theredtelephone.co.uk).

1 comment: